The Payroll Manager is responsible for leading the in-house payroll function in a regional, multi-entity construction firm. They will work with the team to ensure the payroll is being processed accurately and timely within COINS ERP+ Software. Additionally, all taxes and union benefit obligations must be remitted accurately and timely. A focus of the position will be to supervise the payroll team and coordinate with both employees and external regulatory agencies. The objective will be to ensure the payroll procedures are compliant, efficient, and considered best practices.
- Manage and ensure weekly disbursement of multi-state, multi-union payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to 550-750 employees consistent with federal and state laws, union agreements and internal policies
- Partner with HR to ensure the payroll system is set-up and maintained to reflect our current employee base; including rates of pay, benefits and paid time off in accordance with current state laws and union agreements
- Manage the reconciliation, general ledger integration and payment of all federal and state payroll tax obligations on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis
- Manage the reconciliation and payment of all union benefit obligations on a weekly and monthly basis per the union agreement
- Coordinate and fulfill all union audit requests on an annual basis
- Understand and adhere to federal, state, and local legal, benefit and tax requirements by reviewing existing and new regulation
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Manage payroll staff by planning and monitoring employee development and reviewing job performance
- Administer and direct continuous improvements to current processes and procedures
- Participate in special projects and ad hoc requests as needed
- Working experience of payroll tax at the federal, state and local levels
- Extensive experience with multi-state union contracts and reporting
- Must be highly organized and motivated
- Ability to work independently within tight deadlines and to manage multiple tasks
- Strong general business skills and practical, objective approach to problem solving
- Must have a demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment; is both strategic and tactical enough to push new initiatives forward.
- Technical knowledge of HRIS/Payroll interfaces a plus
- High level of competence and independence in Microsoft Excel
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.