Work within the Mechanical estimating group performing a variety of estimating tasks in accordance with the company’s long-range strategic goals to grow the business.
- Secure plans and specifications, review all bidding documents and establish a complete understanding of the scope of work being bid.
- Attend pre-bid meetings, visit the project site and evaluate actual conditions for estimating purposes.
- Maintain positive relationships with and sustain a database of qualified subcontractors and vendors.
- Identify and solicit applicable subcontractors for bids, review scope of work and evaluate proposals.
- Provide accurate take-offs of all material and equipment. Apply applicable labor man hours and costs.
- Complete all estimating forms and check estimate to ensure accuracy and completeness before final bid review by company executive.
- Prepare bid documents, forms and/or proposal letters.
- Assist in the preparation of studies, materials, means, methods, recommendations, and cost estimates as required as well as the maintain database to be used as a reference for future estimates.
- Assist in preparation for project buy-out and turn over to field operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field (or) combination of technical training and equivalent experience
- Desired experience in estimating mechanical/plumbing related equipment and piping systems in the Power Generation, Commercial HVAC, Oil & Gas, Water & Wastewater and/or Industrial markets.
- Excellent organizational, decision making, and problem-solving skills are essential
- Knowledge of construction contracts
- Desired knowledge of ASME and building – codes and standards
- Should be familiar with various types of piping systems including but not limited to hot & cold water (domestic), chill water, condensate, boiler feed water, low to high pressure Steam, Natural gas, fuel oil, domestic water, sludge processing & sanitary waste, compressed air, instrumentation, fire protection and Hi purity piping systems.
- Requires an understanding of the variety of methodologies for mechanical pipe joining, including but not limited to screwed, flanged, Mechanical Joint, Push-on Joint, grooved, welded, (butt & socket), braised and soldered joints, compression fittings and various types of fusion systems.
- Requires experience with the installation of the different types of piping materials used in the Mechanical and Plumbing processes such as carbon steel, stainless steel of all grades, alloy, fiberglass, all types of plastics from PVC, CPVC to HDPE, PP, PE, PVDF, Ductile Iron, RCCP, Cement lined and double wall containment.
- Good math and reading skills.
- Requires ability to comprehend engineer’s specifications and be able to read and interpret construction drawings including Architectural, Mechanical and Plumbing layout drawings.
- Requires a high level of Computer skills (including Microsoft Office with emphasis on Excel and various estimating software).
- Must be able to effectively communicate with team members, vendors and customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and may lift or move objects up to 25 pounds.